Friday, May 6, 2011

Some days you just need a little sign . . .

I was having one of those days earlier this week . . . and to be completely honest, it really has been a tough couple of weeks.  Peter and I recently made the decision to relocate his mom to Utah and have her live with us, and the big move occurred last weekend.  In retrospect there are things that I would have done differently to prepare for the move, but even so, that wouldn't have made the emotional process of moving an elderly relative in with you all that much easier.  Having just returned from Boston and the high of the marathon, it was definitely a big reality check to tackle this.

So we packed up his mom on Saturday, flew her out on Sunday, and found ourselves quickly having to adjust to caring for her and understanding her needs.  Even with some temporary help on Monday, it was quite an adjustment - and probably will be for at least the next few weeks.  I managed to get out for a short run on Monday evening and felt better afterwards - more clear-headed, more prepared to deal with the unexpected and the unknown. But then on Tuesday night, I found myself getting ready to fly back to DC.  I needed to be back at work but was also struggling with the fact that I wouldn't be at home, trying to help my husband make this adjustment, being there to lend support.  On top of that, I had to deal with not being able to control the situation, which was complicated by the fact that I was geographically removed for a few days.  Peter kept reassuring me that he was doing fine taking care of his mom, but I was having a hard time processing it.

After a long, meeting-filled day catching up on work, I found myself talking to Peter on the drive home and started to realize that I needed to take a step back and take a break.  I'm completely guilty of pushing and pushing myself, and at times feeling proud when I can run on pure adrenaline.  But I also know how it can suddenly catch up with you, and WHAM, you just get overwhelmed and then the smallest things suddenly seem impossible to deal with.  A friend of mine keeps reminding me to find time to take care of myself . . . I think that I am finally beginning to understand what that means.  Each of us is asked to do so much in our lives - between family, friends, work, extracurricular activities, and other random things that pop up in life - and we have to find a balance.  Even with big life changes, you need to find time to take care of yourself.

So as I was driving home, I could tell that all of the emotions and uncertainty were starting to build up and I wasn't prepared to deal with them.  Just when I thought that I was reaching a breaking point, I (literally) turned the corner and saw an intense double rainbow.  It stopped me in my tracks, and I was so amazed that I pulled over and took a quick photo before it dissipated.  While the rainbows wouldn't solve all of my woes, I felt like they were a little sign that all would be okay.  That may sound completely cheesy, but hey, if it makes you feel better, then so be it.  For me, it was enough to get me to take a step back and realize that it was okay if I didn't have all of the answers right now.  Even more importantly, it made me realize that I needed to take a step back, and that finding ways to take care of myself and the things that are important to me needs to be a priority.

In the theme of my blog, I really need to find ways to "nourish" myself.  Honestly, we all do.  Whether that's a leisurely run, a healthy home-cooked meal, hanging out with friends, or seeing a little sign from Mother Nature, it's important to seek out those things and carve out time to enjoy them.  I'm glad that I took this photo of the double rainbows, because it's a perfect reminder for those days when I just need a little sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment